Getting Start Install WSL
From Terasic Wiki
Starting with the Nios® II EDS in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition software version 19.2 and Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard Edition software version 19.1, the Cygwin component in the Windows* version of Nios II EDS has been removed and replaced with Windows Subsystem for Linux(WSL)
- Open PowerShell as Administrator
- Run : Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
- Restart your computer when prompted.
- Install the Linux Distribution on your Windows 10, Please install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for WSL from the flowing link: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Note: Windows* 10 build version 16215.0 or higher is the recommended operating system version.
- From the distro's page, select "Get"
- Now that your Linux distro is installed, you must initialize your new distro instance once, before it can be used. You will be prompted to create a new user account (and its password).
- Most distros ship with an empty/minimal package catalog. We strongly recommend regularly updating your package catalog, and upgrading your installed packages using your distro's preferred package manager. On Debian/Ubuntu, you use apt:
- Install additional distro packages required for Nios® II EDS using the following command:
- Once the installation is complete, the WSL is installed.
- Section 2.1 "Installing Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows" of Nios II Software Developer Handbook
If users install to WSL2 version, they may encounter the following problems:
To check the version of WSL installed, users can enter in the Command Prompt window:
wsl -l -v
If the version of WSL is 2, you can enter the following command in the Command Prompt window to change the WSL version to 1.
wsl --set-version Ubuntu-18.04 1
deme_batch execute error
- Problem description:
- When executing deme_batch, the following error occurred
- Microsoft modified the behavior of wslpath, causing nios2-download to fail to resolve the path correctly
- reference: https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/4908#issuecomment-642024969
- Solution 1: Using intel's patch to fix this issue : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000073953.html
- Solution 2: Modify the nios2-download file
- The location of the nios2-download file is in <Quartus installation location>\Quartus version\nios2eds\bin\. For example: c:\intelFPGA_pro\20.2\nios2eds\bin\
- Find the content $(adjust_path_mixed $srecfile) in the nios2-download file, and add touch $srecfile in the previous line.
- Save file and try to execute the demo batch file again.
- Solution 3: Modify the .sh file in the demo batch foleder
- Modify test.sh, add touch $project_elf.srec before nios2-download